Tuesday, June 09, 2015

On the Delaware shore

So, in Delaware, is it "shore," like New Jersey, or "beach," or "coast" -- or something else? Anyway, that's where I am, as the sun goes down and it cools off a bit.

Why Delaware? Well, I've never been to these beaches, and it's actually the straightest shot from Ohio. (A fellow looking like Mitt Romney just putt-putted by on a moped. Do you really think it was.... Nah...) It's a funny thing, my coming to the beach. I can't take the sun, so I'll be troweling on sunscreen tomorrow; but I like looking at, and listening to, the ocean.

So, here's my trip so far. Sunday, after three Masses and our Corpus Christi procession (which was outstanding, the best I've ever been part of), I hit the road around 2 pm., heading for Washington, PA. Yesterday, I went from there to Emmitsburg, where I visited the shrine of Mother Seton, then I drove to my cousin's house outside Baltimore. We had a great time, as always. From there to the beach today. I had several messages from home, about things I forgot to explain, but all seems well. I do miss the parish! I'm praying for you every day.


9 comments:

Phil Dunton said...

Delaware=beach, Jersey=shorel Enjoy.

rcg said...

Nice area! I think it is shore over there. My uncle used to live on the eastern shore of Maryland which is really the same peninsula. So I guess it is "shore".

Jennifer said...

Everyone deserves a nice vacay. Enjoy yours, Father!

Jackie said...

Surely, Father, when you were in Emmittsburg, you also visited Gettysburg!?

Jennifer said...

Are you going to visit some shrines or something of religious significance while there? I have decided to make all of my future travels into pilgrimages of sorts. Even when I have to travel for work, I'll visit a cathedral or a mission. Life is so serious. I really want to set a good example for my three small children.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Jackie:

Not this time. I have visited Geyysburg before, and hope to again. My great grandfather fought there, as part of the 7th Indiana.

Jennifer: mother Seton's shrine will have to do, although I probably will visit the Basilica in DC.

Ellen said...

And if you are from PA or NJ you go "down the shore." Just saying.

rcg said...

Might as well stay there. Got so hot the church melted.

Jennifer said...

Mother Seton's shrine sounds wonderful. I hope your little vacation/pilgrimage will refresh you so that you can go back to your parish with renewed vigor!