Sunday, January 25, 2009

Conversion of Saint Paul in Piqua

Here's how we did things here, today...

> I had the 7 am and 10:30 am Masses this morning; I was a little slow getting over to the first Mass, so alas I started two minutes late.

> We arranged to have postcards in the pews, which the bishops had provided to parishes, as part of an effort to oppose the so-called "Freedom of Choice Act." The other priests and I explained the postcard effort, and assisted everyone in filling them out during the homily time.

My own preference is not to do this sort of thiinig in a homily, but to present a homily--but I deferred to the bishops on this one, and it is obviously a good cause.

> My homily was about conversion, keying off the readings of course, talking about how each of us experiences conversion, a bit about baptism, a bit about my own conversion experience, and how we all continue to experience conversion; and I talked about being agents of conversion--particularly for our society (lead in to the postcard effort).

> After 10:30 am Mass, Father Tom and I had brunch with the catechists who serve our religious education program, to kick off a time of prayer and reflection for them. The original plan was to have the time of reflection, followed by dinner, but we had to rearrange that. Following the meal, we headed back to St. Mary, where I led a study of Acts 22 (our first reading at Mass), to see what insights we could draw from Paul's conversion, for ourselves. Some nice connections. From there, we went over to church, for a period of exposition and prayer; I invited the catechists to reflect on anything we discussed, but perhaps especially on how God might be at work in their lives for ongoing conversion--and how they might make conversion meaningful for the children we're serving. Then back to the meeting room for a talk by Father Tom, on some of the things St. Paul teaches us that make an impact on us today. We finished up around 4 pm.

> Next up: the Life Teen youth group's "BBQ in the Snow"--this year we actually have snow for it (boo!)--that starts around 6:30 pm, and I'll stop by for that.

> After that, I hope to get together with the artist who is headed into town to work on the windows at St. Boniface--he's driving in from Wisconsin, and is due around 7 pm.

4 comments:

Kurt H said...

It sounds like the parishes of Piqua are lucky to be in your hands. I worked in Piqua from 1998 to 2006, just down the street from St. Boniface. Your posts are enough to make me consider trying to return to my old employer and moving to Piqua (although, having grown up in Sidney, I'd have to overcome my innate prejudices).

Chucko said...

Good morning Fr. Fox... I have a specific question regarding my latest blog post. If you could shoot me an email, or post on the blog, it would be much appreciated. I know you're busy, so I understand if you can't get to it. Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by and thank you for sharing your brother's cake analogy over in the WDTPRS com box. It is very refreshing to have these things explained in simple terms.

Father S said...

Father,

Perhaps you would like to check out my blog for priests:

http://clericalreform.blogspot.com

-Fr. S.