Thursday, June 21, 2007

Live-blogging the colloquium...

I'm sitting here, playing on the computer, while a number of the participants together sing various compositions they brought with them. The fine music director at my two parishes has a composition, so while I wait to hear his, I play on the computer and listen to the other delightful music.

Which reminds me to mention, for those of you wondering what sort of folk come to an event such as this: jovial and enjoyable folk, who appreciate good food, conversation, and invigorating libations, of which there have been only a moderate quantity.

Last night, after all the business, I took the music director out for a tour of Washington, which he hadn't seen since he was 2 years old! We wandered all over town, seeing all the usual sights by car (we were both rather weary), ending up at the Old Ebbitt's Grill, very near the White House, for a late-night snack of very good oysters on the half shell (The Old Ebbitt has very good oysters, and for D.C., at a not-bad price) and beer; then we went up to the roof of the Washington Hotel, for another beer, and a nice view of the city.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
beez said...

Fr. Fox:

The Old Ebbitt moved, gosh, about 20 years ago now. It used to be a hole-in-the-wall a couple blocks away (that building was torn down).

I remember, when I was in High School, my younger brother, my parents and I went into DC for a day trip and Dad took us to the original Old Ebbitt. He used to frequent it in the 1940s when he was a student at Georgetown. It was one of the first places he took Mom when they started dating.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Rich Leonardi said...

I hit Old Ebbitt's and the Washington Hotel with a friend new to D.C. on your suggestion the last time I was there. It proved to be great fun. And thank you, Father, for your reflections on the conference.

Kat said...

Well Fr. If I weren't busy working on a Colloquium on Ignatian Education for next week in Cincinnati at XU I'd offer to buy you a beer.

Banshee said...

Glad the Colloquium is going so well! I'm also glad they moved up the original composition session, as so many people had to miss it last time because it was so late in the week. I liked it a lot.