Monday, November 13, 2006

Supposedly I lack an accent

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The Inland North

Philadelphia

The South

The Northeast

The West

Boston

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


I'm not sure this is quite right.

Folks have told me that I say "fire" as one syllable, something like "fyhr"; I guess others enunciate two syllables.

Living in the South -- at least the upper South -- I picked up useful expressions like "y'all" and "mash that button."

Cincinnatians have a slightly twangy way of speaking that northern Ohioans can pick up; those from up near Canada have a slightly nasally way of talking that we from down south can pick up. Then again, you have a very pronounced Appalachian accent that shows up in various parts of Ohio, but I assume is strongly centered in the Southeast?

(Biretta tip: Father Jim Tucker at Dappled Things.)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came out the same as you Father, but since we're both from Cincy, I guess that makes sense.
A blessed day to you...you remain in my daily prayers.

Anonymous said...

Well, Father, I too as a Midlander. They are accurate to the point that I grew up in Dallas. However, they ain't said nuthin' 'bout "ain't," "y'all," or "ol" (the last one meaning something you lubricate your engine with).

I reckon I don't have much of an accent. I certainly don't have that Texas drawl you hear about. But, I DO turn it on when I get around my folks. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

As an extreme southern Indiana native (think Evansville)my accent somehow suggested to west central Ohioans that I must be from the deep south. I overcame my S. IN accent but in traveling to FL it returns as soon as we pass the Alabama border. I actually begin to THINK in southin' talk.
Miss Julia

Anonymous said...

I came out as Northeast mainly Philadelphia and Inland North.

I have lived either in Sydney or Melbourne Australia all of my life. I careful Australian could tell that I am not a native Melbournian.

Kasia said...

Wow - they nailed me, right down to calling carbonated beverages "pop"!

I had a linguistics professor pull me aside and ask me to record words for a test he was giving once. He asked where I was from (Detroit), then where my parents were from (Detroit and Chicago), and then told me he wanted me to do this because he thought I had the quintessential Midwestern accent. And my boyfriend thinks it's cute that I have this nasal twang, whereas I think it's cute that he, as a Canadian, says "aboot"...

Ellen said...

I am definitely Philly all the way - but not South Philly. Believe it or not, there is a definite difference.

Kasia said...

Update - my Canadian boyfriend scored "as Philly as cheese steak." How southern Ontario sounds Philly is beyond me. After all, there's a big lake in the way!

Unknown said...

I'm surprised they don't have the Pittsburgh accent here. Not that all Pittsburghers have it, but it's very distinctive n'at !
:)

Anonymous said...

I must not know how I speak. I know that I still have a Southern accent (even after a number of years living outside of the South). I got pegged as North Central.

Why, honey child, I can easily make "I" into 5 syllables.

Deacon Jim said...

It came out dead on in my case. Identifed as northeast, probably from New Jersey, New York City, Rhode Island, etc. I'm a native New Yorker. Got me.

Anonymous said...

Got me dead on.

Anonymous said...

solid red "inland North" which nails me.

Thanks for passing this along.

Anonymous said...

It said I was from Philadelphia; I've never been to Philadelhpia. I was born in New Orleans and lived there till I was 30.

I suppose New Orleanian accents are hard to place. Moreover, television homogenizes accents.

Anonymous said...

narwen writes: "I'm surprised they don't have the Pittsburgh accent here."

This refers to an accent found widely in Western Pennsylvania, but I prefer to think of it as a Youngstown (OH) accent. Youngstowners sound like no one else in Ohio and, in many ways, exist in their own cultural and political enclave. Those born in Youngstown 50 or so years ago, no matter where they go, never get the city out of their blood, their speech, or their lungs.