Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Not a penny

As might be evident from the last post, I listen to NPR's "Morning Edition." Every morning. Despite its pretensions and ingrained leftism, it's very good.

I listen to Car Talk, when I can, on Saturday mornings, and "All Things Considered" when I'm in the car in the late afternoon.

Every year, when the station to which I usually listen has it's pledge drive, I turn to another NPR-affiliate for that week, so I don't have to endure it.

Nope, I don't send a penny to NPR. And I feel not the least twinge of guilt.

Nobody makes those folks at the station send the signal into my house. If they want to go to a subscription-radio format -- which I believe is the latest thing -- they are free to do so. If they take it away, I have no complaint.

But the nice folks (I am sure they are nice) on the station seem to think a contract is made, merely by their beaming out the signal. Nope, sorry.

What's more, they get money from me. Not a lot, I admit; but they get a little nick off my paycheck, against my will. No media outlet in this nation ought to get a penny of tax money, as far as I am concerned.

So: not a penny. Do you think I'm bad?

No comments: